At a press conference held yesterday ANC members who opposed the previous regional executive said they were prepared to challenge the outcome of the upcoming elective conference in court if branches from this region were allowed to participate.
Last week the regional executive committee was disbanded and replaced with a regional task team headed by Mandla Zondi (convenor) and Mzi Zuma (co-ordinator). The provincial task team also deployed Nhlakanipho Ntombela and Bheki Mtolo to the structure.
During a press briefing, at the Maritzburg Golf Club on Tuesday, disgruntled ANC activists who were opposed to the former regional executive committee, said they did not want branches in this region to participate in the provincial elective conference.
Also read: Troubled ANC region disbanded
“We are appealing that the Moses Mabhida region should not form part of the provincial conference, as the region has been disbanded and people who had assumed leadership roles had expired from office. If the branches of the region participate in the conference, we will challenge the outcome of the conference legally,” said Msizi Ngcobo.
The panel of activists criticised the party for not communicating the reasons for last week’s disbandment of the regional structure.
“We are assuming that the decision to disband the regional executive was informed by the spate of political killings in the Moses Mabhida Region, leadership transgressions, membership gatekeeping and the lapsed term of office for the REC,” said Ngcobo.